Thursday, July 10, 2014

Dirty Nipples

Since my first attempt to clean nipples a while back was a complete failure, I decided to try a different approach. I had some Evapo-Rust left over from another project so I thought I'd give it a try.

Recall what they looked like following the failed tumbler attempt.

Immediately after putting the nipples in the Evapo-Rust.

After sitting in the solution for about three and a half hours, it was already starting to work.  Note the nice, black cloud beginning to form near the bottom.

I let them sit in the solution for a couple of days.  Somehow I managed to not get a picture of it but by the end, the entire solution was black.

And here are the nipples fresh out of the Evapo-Rust.

I really like Evapo-Rust and it is very effective, however, it leaves this white chalky film on the part.  So now it was time for the tumbler to vindicate itself.  This time I didn't bother with the corn cob or walnut media, I went straight for the play sand for a couple of hours.

And finally, here are the nipples out of the tumbler.  They aren't shiney (though I didn't exactly expect them to be) but they are rust free.  This should be a good starting point for them to be powder coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment