Wednesday, May 13, 2015

"New" Pair of Crucibles

During my last melting session, my original crucible finally gave way. I made it out of a stainless steel container I found at, you guessed it, Goodwill. It was fairly thin and didn't have the capacity I would've preferred but it worked well as a proof of concept.

Well, it finally decided it had enough and disintegrated nearly completely around the perimeter about an inch and a half from the bottom.

Given the abuse I've subjected it to, I'm actually surprised it lasted that long.

Now before you get all bent out of shape, I have purchased a real clay graphite crucible from Budget Casting Supply however I still need to make a proper set of tongs to use with it for lifting and pouring.

In the meantime, I managed to pick up full set of stainless steel canisters at GW for about a buck a piece. This metal in this set is considerably thicker and should last a bit longer.

I saved the smaller canisters in the set to store small parts and such in and allocated the two larger ones to make into crucibles.

They were disappointingly easy to take apart. I made sure to save the latches in my junk bin. I'm not sure what I'll use them for just yet but I can see that they'd be a cool addition to something.

A few holes, some bolts, and then a little persuasion with the ball been hammer to fashion a slight "spout" and the new crucibles were ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment